2021 Albany Post Road, Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520                     914-271-4283

Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the
Hudson Valley

Our Congregation's History


In August 1957, ten members of the White Plains Community Church, together with others from the Croton area, met to establish a Unitarian Fellowship in Croton-on-Hudson. Initially, services were held at the Croton Community Nursery School. The first order of business was to set up a religious education program for about 35 children. Adult programs were added in early 1958. By the fall of 1959, religious education enrollment had grown to such an extent that the Fellowship moved to larger quarters across the street where it shared space with the Bennett Conservatory of Music.


In 1961, the American Unitarian Association and the Universalist Church of America merged, creating the Unitarian Universalist Association. Both groups trace their roots in North America to the early Massachusetts settlers and to the founders of the Republic.  Overseas, our common heritage reaches back centuries to pioneers in England, Poland, and Transylvania.


On May 3, 1963, our congregation formed the “Unitarian-Universalist Fellowship of Briarcliff-Croton-Ossining, Incorporated” as a religious corporation dedicated to “further[ing] the principles of Unitarian-Universalism, including individual freedom of religious belief, devotion to truth and the advancement of the brotherhood of all mankind.”


In June 1963, with a mortgage from the Veatch Fund and the North Shore Unitarian Society, Inc. we were able to purchase our present building, the former Boscobel Methodist Church. Our building was constructed in 1926 after the Boscobel congregation was forced to relocate from the corner of Rte 9A and Furnace Dock Road.


In the early days, members arranged all the Sunday programs. Guest ministers from different faiths as well as psychologists were frequently asked to speak at services. Our first part-time minister was Dana Klotzel, director of the UN office of the Unitarian Universalist Association. He is remembered for his strong stand against the Vietnam War. After his sudden death in 1972, members once again arranged all our Sunday services. Initially, ministers of all faiths were invited to speak once a month, but later invitations were extended only to Unitarian ministers. When the Hastings Unitarian Society hired Jason Hays as a part-time minister, our Fellowship arranged to have him conduct one service a month. Memories of our members during the early years include: an active arts program, interfaith balls, wine and cheese parties, book groups, movie series, lively discussions, dramatic performances, a fund raiser led by an authentic Vermont auctioneer and even a guest speaker’s glider plane parked alongside the Fellowship.


After Jason Hays left, the Fellowship was fortunate to find Jim Covington, a pastoral counselor and family therapist. In 1990, we invited Jim to serve two Sundays a month. In 1994, Jim began conducting more services and at the time of his retirement in June of 2011 after 20 years of ministry to us, he led twenty-five services a year.  Upon Jim's retirement, we had two years of interim ministry.


In 2012, we entered the formal search process to find a settled minister. In May of 2013, we called the Rev. Dr. Sarah Lenzi to serve our congregation as its first full-time minister. In the spring of 2014, we held our congregation's first installation service to mark this new phase of our congregation's history. 


In June of 2014, during our annual meeting, the congregation voted to adopt a new name. We are now the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the Hudson Valley.


© UUCHV 2014
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software